Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday Treats: Chilled Cucumber Yoghurt Soup

Spring has officially arrived yesterday and although the weather here in New England reminds me more of mid-winter, I'm in the mood for another healthy green Thursday Treats recipe. Today's treat is my favorite Chilled Cucumber Yoghurt Soup - a dish I've known and enjoyed all my life. Take a look:

Variations of this dish can be found throughout Eastern Europe and Greece, but I'm presenting the recipe as my family has always enjoyed it - simple, healthy and delicious. While this Chilled Cucumber Yoghurt Soup is perfect for summer, I'd recommend it all year round. I usually start craving for this fresh treat in late winter and to me, eating it for the first time somehow signifies the arrival of warmer days. Here is the recipe:

Products (4-6 servings)
  • 1 large 2 lb. container of Greek-style / strained yoghurt (I like to use Chobani non-fat but have also made this recipe with other varieties such as Fage
  • 1 large English cucumber or 4 Persian cucumbers
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbsp of fresh dill
  • Salt to taste (I usually use ~ 1 tsp)
  • 4 cups of cold water
  • 1 tsp sunflower oil
  • chopped walnuts for garnish
Preparation
  1. Cut the cucumbers first lengthwise into several long slices and then into small pieces (I've had the soup with shredded cucumbers, however I prefer to cut them into slightly larger than shredded pieces to get that extra crunch)
  2. Peel and slice the garlic into small pieces or use a special garlic cutter, and add to the cucumber mixture
  3. Finely cut the fresh dill and add to the cucumber & garlic mixture
  4. Add the yoghurt to the mixture and stir well
  5. Start adding the chilled cups of water, one by one, mixing well after each cup - the mixture should be smooth and without lumps. I like my soup to be thick and smooth, but I've also had it with more water added in some places - it is truly a matter of preference. I personally prefer to taste more yoghurt and thus, I like it thicker.
  6. Add the salt and oil and stir
  7. Serve chilled with chopped walnuts for garnish
Chill / store in the fridge and enjoy for a light lunch or dinner, or as an appetizer.

What are some of your favorite healthy recipes? Would you give this one a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment