Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday Treats: Romaine, Veggies & Feta Cheese Salad

It's time for my Thursday Treats again and this one is healthy, fresh and colorful - just perfect for spring! Today's treat is my favorite Romaine, Veggies & Feta Cheese Salad that I've been making for the last month or so. While the main ingredients are the same, I've varied and played around with the add-on's depending on my preference and the ingredients I had at the moment. Take a look:
This is my own recipe and everyone in my family loves it. I love salads, especially for spring and summer time. You can vary or substitute some of the ingredients, depending on taste. For instance, some people find feta cheese too strong - if so, you could use shredded aged cheddar instead; I've tried it like that and it is delicious.

Products (~3-4 servings)
  • 1 large romaine lettuce heart (rich in protein, omega-3s, iron and vitamin C, romaine is highly nutritious; not to mention crisp and delicious)
  • 3-4 green onions / scallions
  • 1 English cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers
  • 1-2 peeled roasted red peppers
  • 1/3 can of corn (I also used chick peas or beans instead - delicious!)
  • 1/3 cup of shredded carrots
  • 1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp of apple vinegar
  • 2-3 tbs olive oil or sunflower oil
Preparation:
  1. Wash and cut the romaine heart in tiny strips
  2. Cut the scallions into small pieces and add to the romaine
  3. Peel and cut the cucumbers, cut the roasted red peppers lengthwise and then into small pieces - add the veggies to the romaine & scallion mixture
  4. Add the corn and shredded carrots to the salad mixture
  5. Add salt to taste, vinegar and oil to the salad and mix thoroughly
  6. Finally, add the crumbled Feta cheese and stir
This salad is best if enjoyed immediately or within an hour. It's so simple yet super healthy and yummy. Enjoy! 

If you love healthy cookies and mini muffins, check out my previous Thursday Treats!

What are your favorite salads or other healthy treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment