Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday Treats: Apple & Cheddar Mini Muffins with Yoghurt

I love freshly baked homemade muffins! Is there anyone who doesn't? I've already shared one of my favorite mini muffin recipes, but today I'm sharing another mini muffin deliciousness I've recently discovered - Apple Cheddar Mini Muffins with Yoghurt. Take a look at this Thursday Treat:

I found an Apple-Cheddar Muffin recipe in this book that I got as a Christmas present, Southern Living Cooking for Christmas, and it immediately caught my attention as I love sweet and savory combinations. Now, this one is not overly savory but just slightly so from the cheese - really just perfect. I adapted the recipe to my taste: 1) used more apples, 2) substituted some of the milk with yoghurt and added some extra yoghurt, 3) used flour instead of baking mix and 4) did not use onion. I loved the result - the addition of the yoghurt made the muffins fluffier and, of course, healthier! Here's the recipe:

Products / Ingredients (makes 24 mini muffins)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 apples, peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (use sharp depending on preference)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup yoghurt (if you've been reading my Thursday Treats posts, you know I like Chobani, but you can use your favorite non-flavored yoghurt) 
  • 1/2 Tbs baking soda
  • 1/2 Tbs baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans (I added those in this batch and it was yummy - they added some crunch and they go really well with the apples)
(Heat oven to 375 F) 

Preparation
  1. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the shredded cheese
  2. In another bowl, beat the melted butter with the sugar until it's fluffy and white
  3. Add the eggs to the butter mixture
  4. Then, add the apples, milk and yoghurt to the butter-egg mixture and mix well
  5. Add the wet-ingredients mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until moistened
  6. Add the chopped pecans to the batter and stir
  7. Spoon batter into two greased mini muffin pans (24 cups) (I like to fill the cups well - you can see from my picture - as I like a nice crispy muffin top!)
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes
Serve warm. These are heavenly with some extra yoghurt on the side or with your favorite jam!

What do you think of this week's Thursday Treats? What are some of your favorite muffin recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment