Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Treats: Feta Cheese & Yoghurt Scones

Today's Thursday Treats post is all about warm savory homemade goodness - Feta Cheese & Yoghurt Scones. This is my mom's recipe that she's been making for us regularly on many occasions, and I've begun to make these for my kids. These scones are easy to make and one of my "best savory snacks" - perfect for breakfast, an afternoon snack or even a light lunch with a side salad. Take a look:

You may know that I often use yoghurt and feta cheese in my treats, and I always love the result. Since the yoghurt is one of the main ingredients in this recipe, it makes the scones really soft and moist.

Products / Ingredients (makes 20-22 scones):
  • 2 cups Greek-style yoghurt (I use non-fat Chobani, but you can substitute with your favorite kind)
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 3-4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I like to use sunflower oil) 
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 10 oz feta cheese (you can use half cheddar if you find feta cheese too strong)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
Heat oven to 365 F. 

Preparation:
  1. Mix the baking soda in the yoghurt and let it dissolve
  2. Beat the eggs and add them to the yoghurt mixture, then add the oil and stir
  3. Mix the baking powder in the flour and add them to the yoghurt-egg-oil mixture
  4. Finally, crumble the feta cheese and add to the dough. The dough will be somewhat sticky. 
  5. Use oil to form scones with your hands and arrange about 2 inches apart
  6. Bake ~ 45 min at 365 F or until golden in color
These scones or savory cakes are delicious right out of the oven, but are also good for a few days after if stored in an air-tight container. Again, if you find feta cheese too strong, you can make these with cheddar or even mozzarella - I've made them with both feta & cheddar and they are yummy!

What are some of your favorite family recipes? Are you going to give this recipe a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment