Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thursday Treats: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Yoghurt

Oatmeal raisin cookies are generally healthier compared to other cookies, but today I'm sharing an even healthier version as my Thursday Treats - Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Yoghurt (Chobani, of course!). I've made those last night with my girl (I've found baking as a great bonding experience - with my mom in the past and now, with my daughter) and they turned out delicious! Take a look:
Similar to last week's Thursday Treats, I have adapted this recipe from one of my favorite dessert cook books "Chocolate & Baking" but made changes for a healthier version, namely: used less flour, less sugar and used yoghurt instead of the egg. Also, I added chopped pecans for some extra crunch. Here is the recipe:

Products (for ~ 2 dozen small cookies)
  • 4 tbsp butter (softened or melted)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup yoghurt (I use Chobani Greek-style yoghurt, but any other plain variety would do)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp soda
  • 2 cups oats (I use quick oats)
  • 3/4 cups raisins
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans 
  • vanilla to taste
Heat oven at 350F.

Preparation
  1. Mix together the melted butter and the sugar until completely dissolved (the original recipe called for creaming together the softened butter and sugar; I've done it both ways and don't find any difference in the end product)
  2. Add the yoghurt and vanilla and mix well until combined
  3. Sift the flour, salt and soda into the butter-yoghurt mixture
  4. Add the oats, raisins and pecans and mix together thoroughly
  5. Place spoonfuls of the mixture about 2-3 inches apart (on greased cookie sheets) and flatten them a bit with a the back of a spoon
  6. Bake the cookies at 350 F for 15-18 minutes, depending on the oven (I like mine lightly browned)
Enjoy and store any left cookies (if at all) in an airtight container!

What are your favorite cookies? Are you going to give these a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment