Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thursday Treats: Healthy Egg, Ham & Cheese Pita Bread Sandwich

Hello everyone! Today's treat is a healthy, packed with nutrition and yummy Grilled Egg, Ham & Cheese Pita Bread Sandwich. I've been craving a healthier egg sandwich for a while and when I came across the Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Soft Pita Bread in my local grocery store the other day, I couldn't start my creation fast enough. Take a look at the result that has only about 300 calories:

Ingredients:
  • Your favorite whole grain soft pita bread. The Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat one that I used here is only 60 calories a piece, packed with fiber and absolutely delicious.
  • One egg, beaten; a drizzle of olive oil; a dash of salt, paprika & oregano
  • One slice of turkey ham - you can substitute for your favorite ham, but since I was aiming for a healthier version, I chose turkey
  • One slice of Munster cheese or smoked Provolone - I used Provolone here as I really like the smoked flavor of the one I have and it has fewer calories than the Munster (which I also love!)
  • 1/2 Tbsp of hummus
  • 1/3 cup of mixed baby greens - I used my favorite  Organic Baby Lettuce Mix from trader Joe's.
  • 1/2 spoon of unsalted butter
Preparation:
  1. Beat the egg, add a dash of salt, paprika and oregano to the mixture and cook in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
  2. Butter the surface of the skillet and grill the pita bread for 30 seconds on one side, turn on the other
  3. Put the cooked egg on the pita, top with the cheese and finally with the ham
  4. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then fold the pita sandwich and butter each side. Brown each side for an additional 1 min or so. Once the cheese has melted and the pita bread is nicely browned, it's ready.
  5. Put on a place, spread 1/2 Tbsp hummus and top with the baby greens.
  6. Serve with your favorite fruit / veggies. Mine was delicious with Calamata olives and tomatoes.
This simple, healthy and delicious sandwich can be enjoyed in the morning or as a quick lunch. I've packed this treat in my daughter's lunch box one day this week and she said she wished I've packed a second one!

What are your favorite healthier sandwiches or morning treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment