Friday, May 3, 2013

Thursday Treats: Beets, Cucumber & Parmesan Salad

I know it's already Friday and I usually post my Thursday Treats ... well, on Thursdays... However, I'm making an exception this week - the fresh healthy spring salad is well worth it! I improvise a lot with salads and one of my favorites this week is what I'm calling Beets, Cucumber & Parmesan Salad. Take a look:

I love beets - they are delicious - raw or cooked - and rich in antioxidants, potassium and vitamin C. When steamed, they are the perfect companion to more crunchy vegetables such as cucumbers and peppers. Here is my simple easy recipe: 

Ingredients (for 2-3 portions):
  • 3-4 steamed & peeled baby beets (I like the Trader Joe's kind)
  • 2-3 Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber
  • 2-3 green onions
  • 1/2 red, orange or yellow pepper (I used orange) 
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt to taste
  • fresh dill
  • 1-2 tbs olive oil
  • 1-2 tbs of vinegar
Preparation:
  1. Cut the beets in small pieces
  2. Wash and cut the rest of the vegetables - I prefer to peel the cucumbers
  3. Mix together
  4. Add fresh chopped dill to the mixture and salt to taste
  5. Add the olive oil and vinegar (or substitute vinegar with squeezed lemon) and mix well 
  6. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese
Enjoy immediately - I had mine with fish and it was just perfect!

What are your favorite spring salads?

No comments:

Post a Comment